Protecting your privacy and personal data as a registered data controller.
Your privacy is important to us, Greater Manchester Institute of Technology (GMIoT) is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about the information we hold about you, how we use your data and who we use it with. This privacy notice will let you know the rights you have, and the choices that you can make to ensure control over your own personal data. The GMIoT is the data controller and/or processor for personal data relating to you.
Data / information we collect
Learners and Employers
- The GMIoT collects data from you when you sign up for the GMIoT newsletter or enquire for a course/service at the University of Salford, Tameside College, Bury College, Wigan & Leigh College and Ada Manchester using either our website, an online / paper application form or through an external website such as our education providers and MailChimp. This may include your email address and also information relevant to your chosen / interested course.
- The information you submit via the GMIoT website is store by Mailchimp and hosted by our website agency (JAM), which provides our hosting. Once we receive your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the website because the internet is never 100% secure.
- Authorised personnel within GMIoT partner networks will be able to access the information that you provide to us. Your data will also be passed on to trusted consortium partners under contract to assist us in fulfilling any actions you have requested and approved by you. These trusted partners are also bound by UK and EU data protection laws.
- We do not ask you for personal information unless we truly need it and we do not share your personal information with anyone except to comply with law, evolve courses and services, or protect our rights.
What will we use your data for?
When you provide us with your email address we will use Mailchimp (EU) to send information and marketing emails to students and partner businesses.
How long will we keep your data?
For the provision of our information and marketing newsletter / emails / etc we will keep your email address until you either unsubscribe, finish studies or ask to be forgotten as set out below.
And how does someone make it stop?
All emails sent to users using data submitted through the webform will have links to the Mailchimp platform where the user can remove themselves from the subscriber lists.
For any other requests users are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We capture information from our website using cookies that can be placed on your computer to enable us to offer a better experience for web users, and to track visitor numbers to our website. This information tells us how many times you visit a page, how long you viewed it and the search engine and search terms used, as well as the geographical location. In some instances Greater Manchester Institute of Technology website pages use third party services or software, such as embedded careers information, google maps, social networking features, event booking software or online videos. Many of these services may set cookies on your device. For instance videos embedded on our pages that are hosted on You Tube will lay down Google tracking cookies, in most instances our sites allow you to customise your permissions with regard to tracking, but in some instances such as this one, permissions are implied by the host provider.
If you wish to know more about cookie usage please visit our cookie page
You reserve the right to request a copy of the information held by the GMIoT under the Freedom of Information Act. To request this data, withdraw consent or ask for it to be deleted, contact email@example.com
Retention of data
The GMIoT will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary for the relevant marketing activity for which we collected. (See above descriptions of data collected). To determine the length of time, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of data. The potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclose of your personal data. The purpose of which we process your data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. The GMIoT will keep student email addresses for up to 4 years and every 6 months the GMIoT will use a external team auditor to check data is correct.
Mailchimp servers are located in the United States. This means data we process may be transferred to, stored, or processed in the United States.
Mailchimp has certified its compliance to both the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework since 2016.
Mailchimp will continue to protect European data in compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles to which it has certified compliance. See Mailchimp global privacy statement here.
Use of personal images / Video
Learner and Employers
The GMIoT consider images and video of specific individuals and groups considered as personal data and as such consent is required to use it. Generally, you will be asked to complete a physical copy, written GMIoT consent form. Which will clearly explain how the images will be used and for how long. There will instances where we are not able to gain written consent, especially from large groups, live events hosted by the GMIoT partner network. However, the GMIoT photographer will make it clear that your images will be stored and could be used online or for marketing collateral/purposes.
Images or videos considered as large groups where an individual appears inadvertently in the background are unlikely to be considered as personal data, hence a written consent will not be required.
You can withdraw consent at any time for the use of your personal images by contacting the GMIoT by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is not always possible to recall publications or marketing materials where your image is printed or appeared.
Updating your personal records
It is important that your personal details are up to date, please email email@example.com to make changes to your details.